We have the relationships, experience, and knowledge to undertake any public art initiative in Canada through the following services. Scroll down to learn more!
- Public art management
- Community engaged arts programming
- Capacity building programming
- PATCH construction hoarding exhibits
Learn more about our services…
Public art management
STEPS produces one-of-a-kind art initiatives that meet your public art requirements while fostering vibrant public spaces.
Our public art management services are recognized for:
- High Quality: Our iconic works have included some of the largest public art installations in Canada and the World.
- Cost Effectiveness: We provide customized services that draw on our team’s unique blend of arts management, community engagement and urban planning experience to help you produce innovative new works within scope and budget.
- Expert Insight: We have the latest knowledge of city policies, zoning, development permit regulations, consultation requirements and artistic trends to help you navigate complex public art and community engagement processes.
- Transformation: We tailor our approach to meet the unique needs of your site and stakeholders. Our projects both reflect and contribute to the character of communities. STEPS can help you build the capacity of local creative talent.
Past Clients Include:
- Knightstone Capital
- Pan Am Games
- St. Joseph’s Hospital
- Stackt Market
- Slate Asset Management
Interested in working with us? Here’s what to do next:
- Send us a note with the site location, your general needs, and desired timeline.
- We’ll respond within two business days and set up a meeting to learn more.
- We will develop a custom proposal for you, unique to your site, needs, and community.
Community engaged arts programming
STEPS’ approach to community arts is collaborative. We support resident associations, schools, BIAs and other community-serving agencies in developing innovative interdisciplinary initiatives that respond to the needs of their communities.
Our community partnerships have ranged from large community-designed murals to temporary installations and space activations during community events.
While STEPS facilitates programming across Canada, our most impactful community projects have engaged members of some of Toronto’s most diverse communities, including the city’s Neighbourhood Improvement Areas (NIAs) and identity-based communities.
Featured Project – Woven: Weaving Communities Along Toronto’s York Beltline
Drawing inspiration from the area’s rich textile industry history, Woven is cross-cultural and intergenerational program aimed at activating green space and fostering community pride along Toronto’s York Beltline. A series of permanent and temporary works have been produced in collaboration with interdisciplinary artists and residents of the local community, leaving a lasting legacy on this public space.
Want to Activate a Public Space in Your Community?
STEPS.Activate: We strive to lend support, knowledge, and capacity to community-led projects that may not come to life without a strong and experienced public art partner.
Send us a note with a bit of information about your group, your project idea, and why you’d like to partner with STEPS.
Past Community Partners Include:
- COSTI Immigrant Services
- Laneway Project
- The Neighbourhood Organization
- St James Town Community Corner
- Sherbourne Health Centre
- Rexdale Hub / Albion Boys & Girls
Capacity building programming
Developing accessible learning, networking and skill-building opportunities that foster vibrant public spaces is at the core of STEPS’ work.
We facilitate a range of ongoing programming that builds the capacity of:
- Community-serving agencies to facilitate cultural initiatives
- Community members to initiate projects in their community
- Artists to produce community-engaged public programming
- Youth as tomorrow’s city-builders and cultural leaders
Within each of our projects, programs, and productions we integrate mentorship opportunities for emerging artists. These opportunities include working alongside professional artists, skills and technical training, networking, as well as leadership and peer-to-peer learning.
Don’t miss our upcoming capacity building programming — follow us on social media and subscribe to our newsletter for updates.
Interested in collaborating with us on this work? Send us a note!
Past Community Partners Include:
- Akin Collective
- Maximum City
- Mural Routes
- OCAD University
PATCH: Construction hoarding exhibits
PATCH Project is the industry leader in connecting developers, construction groups, and marketing companies with local artists to help you meet public art requirements for your construction sites. Already a legislated requirement in Toronto, public art is being encouraged on construction sites across Canada.
Our hoarding exhibit services are recognized for:
- High Quality: We work with you to develop unique exhibits that reflect artistic excellence, the character of the host community, and the personality of the future development project. Leverage our roster of over 130 local Toronto area artists and our ability to facilitate site-specific calls for artists,
- Cost Effectiveness: Forget about paying for traditional advertising, an investment in a carefully curated hoarding exhibit will market your development project for you.
- Expert Insight: Our superior project management skills make this process easy for you by curating a shortlist of artists, facilitating a design process, fabricating and installing the exhibit, as well as promoting the artwork. Having successfully facilitated City of Toronto approvals for over 65 hoarding exhibits to date, we help you gain quick construction staging approvals, so you can get on with building communities!
- Transformation: We bring moments of beauty, amusement and reflection to otherwise overlooked spaces, like construction sites. By engaging STEPS in this work, you are aligning yourself with supporting local culture and fostering a vibrant public realm.
To date, we have worked with over 50 of Canada’s largest public and private developers!
Past Clients Include:
- Infrastructure Ontario
- Region of Peel
Need some artwork for your construction site? Here’s what to do next: