A STEPS PROJECT
From Weeds We Grow
Exploring the intersections of nature, art and wellness, From Weeds We Grow strives to unearth Rexdale and Humber Summit’s relationship to the environment and accessible public space through virtual walking tours, workshops, storytelling and performances rooted in Rowntree Mills Park.
PROJECT AT A GLANCE
Location: Rexdale, Toronto
Artist(s)/Facilitator(s): Lindsey Lickers, James Carpenter, Tracey Kayy, Zara Rahman, and the local community
Our relationships to nature and accessible public space within our communities are more important than ever!
From Weeds We Grow is an interdisciplinary public art project that aims to encourage exploration, and conversation around public space, while connecting community members to each other, to the arts, and to Rowntree Mills Park. Part of Arts in the Park 2020, this project is supported by the Toronto Arts Council through their Animating Toronto Parks program.
From Weeds We Grow is a project that:
- Uses new technologies to create virtual and immersive walking tours;
- Presents stories and spoken word performances by both community members and local artists that reflect, explore and celebrate Rowntree Mills Park;
- Showcases visual content created by workshop participants in the Rexdale and Humber Summit neighbourhood.
From Weeds We Grow will be in production through the summer of 2020 with the launch of the project’s web app in November 2020 in partnership with Toasterlab.
Participants will delve deeper into their connection to nature, exploring Rowntree Mills Park through an indigenous, environmental and historic lens. Community storytellers and spoken word artists share their experiences in the park and thoughts on its future, while Lead Artists and Facilitators offer online artmaking workshops, activities and walking tours to engage in.
“The park means a lot to me and my family. Its open space is a great way to get some exercise of the mind and body. I appreciate nature so much more enjoying a stroll through Rowntree Mills Park.”
– Ms. Ellie, Project Collaborator at FOURONESIXLOVE INC.
Call for participation:
virtual art workshops with lindsey lickers
September 23, 2020 | September 24, 2020 | September 26, 2020
- Do you have a personal connection with Rowntree Mills Park?
- Are you interested in deepening your connection with the land and green spaces in your community?
- Want to contribute to an interactive, virtual mural featured on the From Weeds We Grow web app?
Lindsey Lickers and STEPS invite you to be part of a unique virtual workshop rooted in Rowntree Mills Park. Up to 25 participants will have the opportunity to connect with Lindsey and each other while developing techniques in storytelling, drawing and mixed media. Participants’ final artwork will be a part of a collaborative and interactive virtual mural on the project web app.
All are welcome!
Register by Friday, September 18, 2020 at 4pm, where you will be asked to respond to the following:
- What interests you about From Weeds We Grow, and why do you want to be involved?
- What is your personal connection to Rowntree Mills Park?
- Have you participated in a virtual art workshop before?